Sunday, July 20, 2014

Apple Cobbler

Sitting at Volleyball can sometimes get quite boring.  Thank goodness for Coach Danley sometimes coming up to the front and keeping me company.  The other day she was telling me about an apple cobbler she had made using those sugar cookies that come already pre-sliced in a package of 24 for the topping.  I had a bag of small granny smith apples that I didn't know what to do with and thought that would be a fun recipe to play around with, so I did.  I had to run to Wal-Mart for a few things - didn't want to get totally dressed and go to HEB and knew no one cared at Wally World what I was wearing - or not wearing.  (makes you wonder, huh)   Anyway, I really was going to get sugar cookie dough when I spotted the oatmeal butterscotch cookies and I immediately thought of a rolled oatmeal crust on pies and cobblers and knew that would be wonderful.  So, I am going to share with you my made up kind of recipe for apple cobbler so you can make it yourself and taste the awesomeness.  I am sorry I don't have a picture to share with you, but the pan (8" X 8") is almost empty right now.  I should have taken a picture (story of my life) when it first came out of the oven, all bubbly and hot. 

Apple Cobbler

6 small granny smith apples, peeled, cored and diced small.  (about 2 1/2 - 3 cups) (2 - 3 large ones)
4 T. cold butter - diced
2 T. sugar (white, granulated - regular sugar) (about)
2 1/2 T. brown sugar (about)
1 t. cinnamon (about)
1 package of 24 squares of oatmeal butterscotch cookies

Sorry for the about measurements - I really didn't measure - just sprinkled things on and in. 

Put your diced apples in the bottom of an 8" square pan.  sprinkle with the butter making sure it is evenly spaced around on the apples, sprinkle with the sugars and cinnamon.  Evenly space the cookies over the top of everything and bake at 350 (whatever temp the cookies say on the package - it may be 325) for about 20 - 25 minutes.  I may have even cooked them up to 30 minutes.  You want your cookies to be done and the apples cooked.   Eat plain or top with whipping cream or ice cream.  A butter pecan ice cream would be lovely.  You could also put a sprinkling of pecans or raisins over the apples.  Play around with this and let me know what you think.  It's a quick and easy dessert that I think will impress your family.  (or heat it up for breakfast the next day - yum!)

No comments:

Post a Comment