Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Chicken BLT Salad

Yesterday, I was really craving a BLT.  Have you ever had cravings for a sandwich like that?  I knew I had some cherry tomatoes I needed to use up and three slices of bacon left in the package; that would make a perfect sandwich.  Yep, it would if the bread hadn't molded a few days ago and I had to throw it out.  It's really hard to have a sandwich with no bread.  So, my mind starts going through what I have here at the house - I really don't want to go out at lunch time here in town - waaaay tooo many people trying to get lunch at the same time.  I go ahead and cook the bacon in the microwave and dice up some tomatoes.  If nothing else, I will have scrambled eggs with tomatoes and bacon.  Sounds pretty good, but just not the same.  What else can I do, hmmm.  I have a can of chicken that the label is half way off, maybe I can mix up a chicken, bacon and tomato salad and serve it over fresh romaine lettuce.  YUM!!!  It was delicious!! Here is what I did, in case you want to make your own. 

Chicken BLT Salad

1 can of chicken, drained and shredded
about 10 cherry tomatoes, diced
3 slices of bacon, cooked, cooled and chopped
1/2 - 2/3 c. mayonnaise
1 t. spicy brown mustard
2 T. blue cheese dressing - just because I love it and it adds some flavor

Mix all of the above together along with a little bit of kosher salt and a generous amount of black pepper.  Serve over torn Romaine lettuce and top with a little bit more blue cheese dressing. 

I also sprinkled some tomato crunchy almonds over the top - (get them from naturebox) or you could do some toasted pecans, regular almonds or sunflower seeds.  The bacon is crunchy, but that adds a little bit more crunch. 

It was delicious and I will be making this again.  Matter of fact, I had some leftovers for lunch again today and it was still wonderful.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.  If you don't like the blue cheese dressing you can eliminate it from the salad mixture and use your choice of dressing - ranch, thousand island, etc. over the top when you serve it.  If I had thought about it at the time, I would have chopped up some black olives and put them in there, too  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment